Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 11: Simplifying Your Life

Week 2, Thursday, January 14

Text: Luke 10:41-42
“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed.

Thought for the day:
I have developed a New Year’s Day tradition. For the past 7 years, January 1 has been a day designated for emptying my closet. My rule is this: If I haven’t worn an article of clothing since the previous January 1, I have to get rid of it. Sometimes, this is a hard rule to keep. I have had years when I forgot about a favorite red sweater, or a pair of brown corduroy pants. As I get rid of this assortment of clothing, there is often a sense of loss. I don’t want to let go of some clothing for sentimental reasons, or because there might be an occasion when one particular shirt is the perfect item to wear. In spite of my loss, on January 2, I am almost always pleased with my purging. Throughout the year, clothing becomes clutter in my closet, and I often cannot find the shirt or pants that I am looking for. By getting rid of unused clothes, I gain access to my closet, and a greater ability to find my clothes.

In Luke 10, Martha had a day that was cluttered. She was busy making an elaborate meal for Jesus and His disciples. She was a gracious hostess, but her grace turned sour. Because her day was filled with the clutter of many preparations, she missed a great opportunity, to sit at Jesus feet. This story does not tell us that Martha was wrong to make a nice meal, but she was foolish to allow the clutter of the meal to sour her opportunity to be with Christ. She needed to release some of her good intentions, so that she could have access to something better.

Martha’s life and my closet had a common problem: too much. It is easy to be distracted by an abundance of good things, and miss what is best. This week, as you think about fasting, try to determine whether there are activities or priorities that are adding clutter to your life, and causing you to miss opportunities to be still and know God.

Journal/Exercise:
What are some activities that add clutter to your life? They can be enjoyable activities, and even bring a benefit in some way. Write down at least two activities that add clutter to your life. Then, turn to God in prayer, and ask Him for wisdom to discern whether these activities should be simplified so that you can have more time to spend in His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment