Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 4: Prayer Leads to Gratitude

Week 1, Thursday, January 7

Text: Psalm 40:1-3
“I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the LORD.”

Thought for the day:
I had always been taught that prayer was important for giving thanks to God. I always believed it, but I thought it meant that in prayer, we had to tell God why we were thankful. I thought prayer was the way we gave thanks. I still believe that prayer is an important part of giving thanks to God, but now, I believe that it is also important because through our prayer lives, we become more thankful. The author of Psalm 40 was thankful because he turned to God in prayer, and then (after waiting patiently) saw God answer that prayer. He was thankful because He saw God act. His prayer life helped him pay attention to God’s actions.

Journal/Exercise:
Write down one way that you have ever seen God answer one of your prayers. Did that answer to prayer change your view of God? Do you believe that God really responds to your prayers?

No comments:

Post a Comment